The Kansas Society of Professional Engineers (KSPE) publishes career opportunities on the KSPE website. Classifieds must advertise a legitimate job opening for registered professional engineers or engineering-interns and provide the exact qualifications sought by the employer, a valid Request for Proposal or Request for Qualifications for a bon a fide project or advertise a product/supply used by the engineering profession
Burns & McDonnell
Kansas City, Missouri
Burns & McDonnell
Kansas City, Missouri
Salina Airport Authority
Project Manager - Water / Wastewater
Kansas City, Missouri
Job: Project Management
Primary Location: Kansas City, MO
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Burns & McDonnell’s rapidly growing Water Practice is in search of a Municipal Water/Wastewater Project Manager. Our passion started with water. Our water solutions evolve with the ever-changing needs of communities everywhere. Burns & McDonnell strives to create amazing success for our clients and amazing careers for our employee-owners. We are 100 percent employee-owned and proud to be on FORTUNE’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, along with numerous regional workplace and industry honors.
We are looking for highly driven employee owners who have excellent client interaction skills and can manage and lead planning and design teams for medium to large water and wastewater projects. In this position, you will manage everything from medium to multi-million dollar water treatment and distribution, and wastewater treatment and collection projects. At Burns & McDonnell we go where you need us, near or far. This Project Manager role will be focused on projects in the upper Midwest led by our Chicago Regional Office. Expectations include providing with support on projects across the U.S. to connect clients to the services they need for a successful project.
Directs and coordinates water/wastewater activities of several disciplines on everything from major projects to projects of moderate scope or a combination of smaller projects.
Work with a multi-discipline team of engineers and technicians in the design of municipal water and wastewater treatment facilities as well as the contractors and construction staff on design/build projects.
Understands and applies conventional and advanced treatment technologies to solve complex water quality challenges for clients throughout the United States.
Client development, maintenance, and management; contract preparation and negotiation; coordination with regulatory agencies; project planning, budgeting, and scheduling; and the establishment of critical project objectives and performances.
Plans, organizes, and communicates project personnel needs to department management.
Mentors less experienced staff and serves as a leader.
Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field from an accredited curriculum. Master's degree preferred.
Minimum 10 years related experience in the design and construction of municipal water or wastewater treatment facilities, including three (3) or more years managing medium to large-sized water/wastewater projects with full responsibility for budget, schedule, contractual obligations, client service, and quality standards.
This position requires a self-driven individual with municipal water or wastewater process and plant facilities background and the willingness to take on new challenges.
If drinking water focused background, a demonstrated ability in both conventional filtration as well as membrane filtration. In addition, candidate needs experience in hydraulics, chemical feed systems, alternate disinfection systems, advanced oxidation, and residuals handling.
If wastewater focused background, a demonstrated experience and knowledge in preliminary treatment, primary treatment, biological treatment (including BNR), disinfection, hydraulics, and solids processing and handling.
Must have ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of industry, government and public contracts on project-related matters.
Existing relationships with local and statewide municipal and private clients a plus.
Candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and problem solving skills.
This position requires an individual capable of applying intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to a broad area of assignments.
Candidate must be capable of devising new approaches to solve complex problems.
Previous consulting experience.
Professional engineer license or the ability to obtain within the first six (6) months is required.
Staff Environmental Engineer - Municipal Water / Wastewater
Kansas City, Missouri
Job: Chemical Engineering
Primary Location: Kansas City, MO
Travel: Yes, 10% of the Time
Burns & McDonnell’s rapidly growing Global Water Practice is in search of a Staff Municipal Wastewater Process Engineer in our Kansas City (World Headquarters) office. Founded in 1898, Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE’s List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, and St. Louis. Burns & McDonnell’s success, as well as its long list of awards and repeat clients, is the result of the employee-owner culture and mission to “Make Our Clients Successful”.
Assists the process design and execution of water and/or wastewater treatment projects.
Perform day-to-day process technical work, project planning, managing scope, schedule, and budget of projects.
Developing critical project objectives and performance goals, interacting with clients on technical matter as needed.
Support client development and technical sales, proposal preparation and technical sales presentations; coordination with regulatory agencies.
Plan, organize, and communicate project technical needs to department management, mentor new graduate and intern staff.
Provide support to EPC project deliveries for water and wastewater projects along with Burns & McDonnel Construction/Design-Build group.
Bachelor's degree in chemical, civil, environmental, or mechanical engineering from an accredited university. A master’s degree is preferred.
Three or more years hands-on experience in designing chemical, physical, and wastewater treatment systems; evaluating and selecting treatment technologies; working with equipment vendors, leading the design of water and/or wastewater treatment facilities.
Track record of water/wastewater treatment design projects.
Strong knowledge of water and/or wastewater permitting and regulatory coordination.
Understand Front End Planning phases project deliverables and EPC deliveries of Water/Wastewater projects
Knowledge of emerging contaminants and corresponding treatment technologies
Abilities to apply in-depth and diversified knowledge of water and/or wastewater treatment principles and practices to a broad area of assignments.
Have excellent written and verbal communication skills with project teams and clients as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Demonstrate technical leadership in the market sectors, professional organizations, and publications.
Successful completion (i.e. passing) FE or EIT preferred.
Senior Project Engineer
Seaboard is seeking a Senior Project Engineer at our corporate headquarters located in Merriam, KS. Candidates should have over 10 years’ experience in Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering with a design-build firm, or end user engaged in grain or feed processing, bulk material handling, agriculture, or food processing. Must have proven experience managing the full life cycle of projects including scope, schedule, and budget.
Position will utilize a wide range of management and engineering skills to conceive, execute, and commission multi-million-dollar capital projects. This includes but not limited to all phases of design conception, engineering oversight, procurement, execution, and start-up.
Candidates must be willing to travel approximately 25% to our overseas operations throughout Africa, South America, and The Caribbean.
To learn more about this opportunity and apply online, please visit our website.
Salina Airport Authority
Salina (KS) Airport Authority is hiring a key management position responsible for existing and future airfield, hangar, and building improvements at the Salina Regional Airport and Airport Industrial Center. Under the supervision of the executive director, the facilities and construction director is responsible for managing the development and construction phases on projects including both pavement & facilities. The facilities and construction director will have a high skill level utilizing AutoCAD and working with building and pavement construction plans and drawings. In this capacity, the facilities and construction director will coordinate projects and maintain effective working relationships with tenants, co-workers, the public, contractors, and regulatory agencies. The position will work closely with the manager of operations that oversees a staff of ten maintenance, ARFF, and operations personnel and the director of administration and finance that handles tenant lease agreements, project budgets, financing, and contract administration.
Applicant must have Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in civil engineering, construction management, airport management or related field. Experience in the above fields will also be considered in lieu of a degree. 3-5 years progressively responsible airport and/or engineering experience. Considerable knowledge of FAA AIP construction policies and procedures. Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing and through oral expression so others will understand. Must be self-motivated and possess the ability to work with a great deal of autonomy. Proficiency in AutoCAD and Microsoft Excel is a must. Knowledge and/or ability to use Windows-based personal computers using program applications such as Microsoft Word, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, and OneNote.
The position offers a competitive salary and benefits package including 100% paid health and dental insurance, employer-paid life insurance, paid vacation, holidays and sick time, relocation assistance, Kansas Public Retirement System pension program, health club wellness allowance, and employee-funded pre-tax programs including IRS-457 deferred compensation, Cafeteria/Flex Plans and AFLAC. Send resume via email to email@example.com by September 23, 2021. A full invitation to apply and job description is online at https://www.salinaairport.com/media/36658/director-of-facilities-and-construction-package.pdf.
WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We've been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 455,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It's a responsibility we deliver on.
Our passion is water because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places.
In this position, you will have the opportunity to work on detailed designs, calculations, cost estimates, plans, drawings and specifications for contract documents, and evaluations of various types of water works improvement projects. You will also coordinate engineering and administration of construction between WaterOne and other utilities, engineering firms, developers, and public works entities and you will operate in a consulting capacity to other departments on technical engineering issues when assigned.
Customer Service Commitment
WaterOne employees shall continuously strive to meet or exceed the expectations of both their internal and external customers. Questions and concerns shall be acknowledged on the same day whenever possible, but no later than the next business day. Issues shall be resolved as promptly as possible, with the goal of maximizing customer satisfaction.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
construction activities for waterworks projects.
• Continue professional growth and development by attending conferences/seminars/workshops/webinars.
• Draft Action Item Summaries for Board action.
• Perform other job duties as assigned.
Required Education, Skills & Experience
• Bachelor of Science degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited school.
• Engineer-in-Training or Fundamentals of Engineering certification and working toward a PE license in the State of Kansas.
• Thorough knowledge of engineering theory and practice.
• Certification by California State University Sacramento in Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance is required or obtained within 24 months from date in position.
• Certification as a Grade I Water Distribution Operator is required or obtained within 48 months from date in position.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of software with emphasis in Office 365, SharePoint, Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook.
• Ability to become proficient in the use of SAP, GIS, and AIMS software applications.
• Ability to become proficient in reading and interpreting engineering drawings.
• Ability to become proficient in developing design drawings for construction of water works improvements.
• Knowledge of construction contract documents and the administration thereof.
• Knowledge of water utility construction practices on distribution mains.
• Knowledge of water utility construction practices on transmission mains.
• Knowledge of transmission main projects with specifications.
• Knowledge of water utility materials for the Distribution Division.
• Knowledge of issues affecting water utilities.
• Ability to become proficient in the use of hydraulic modeling software applications.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain good working relationships and be team oriented.
• Knowledge of legal descriptions of land.
• Knowledge of easements and easement acquisitions.
• Approaches problem solving in a logical manner.
• Well organized and able to follow priorities.
• Efficient at recognizing and focusing on the important priorities.
• Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
• Having a proactive approach to ensure progress is maintained throughout a project.
• Exercise good judgment; be innovative.
• Able to respond to occasional emergencies and be reachable.
• Must have a valid driver's license and continuously meet WaterOne driving standards.
• Pass post offer medical exam, including drug screen and background verification.
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
• Experience in engineering and technical work, preferably with a water utility.
• Experience with enterprise resource planning software such as SAP.
• Construction experience.
These key core competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee at WaterOne:
• Communicates Effectively – Demonstrates ability to listen and express oneself effectively and shares information as appropriate for the position needed to perform the job effectively.
• Conscientiousness – Expresses the motivation to perform one's job in a careful, thorough way that adheres to the standards of honesty and integrity.
• Customer Focus – Demonstrates a concern for satisfying both internal and external customers and builds collaborative relationships with customers and stakeholders.
• Interpersonal Savvy – Demonstrates the ability to effectively coordinate with others to achieve goals and solve problems by maintaining flexibility and open mindedness.
• Problem Solving/Drive for Results – Demonstrates the ability to find solutions to complex problems and consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
In addition to the core competencies, these key competencies are expected to be demonstrated by each employee in this position:
• Adaptability and Flexibility – Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities.
• Dependability – Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and achieves results with little oversight.
• Job Knowledge – Understands the purpose of the position and demonstrates knowledge by staying current with changes impacting their job.
• Project Planning and Management – Develops and manages projects while tracking costs, time, and resources.
• Safety and Security Focus – Adheres to all workplace safety and security policies, standards, and practices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee may occasionally life/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee must be able to use a computer for several hours a day. They must be able to move from one location to another (outdoor worksites, WaterOne facilities, etc.) occasionally. The employee must be able to use office productivity equipment such as a personal computer, calculator, printer, and copy machine. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. Additionally, they must be able to wear personal protective equipment and navigate/inspect construction sites. Lastly, the employee must be willing to work in all kinds of weather extremes.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in both the field and a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate except when in the field on a jobsite.
WaterOne provides a total compensation package that includes:
• Competitive base pay
• Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, and LTD insurance
• Flexible spending account
• Voluntary deferred compensation savings account
• Mandatory cash balance plan
• Comprehensive wellness program
• Educational assistance program
• A variety of other benefit programs and activities
Equal Opportunity Employer
WaterOne is an equal opportunity employer and upholds a non-discrimination policy. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, military status, or marital status in making employment and business decisions. We also prohibit harassment and retaliation in the workplace and in our dealings with the public. We encourage and welcome diversity of backgrounds in our workforce. WaterOne complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA).